Friday, October 10, 2008

Goodbye Opus

After returning twice from the dead, it seems that Berkeley Breathed is finally putting Opus the Penguin out to pasture. November 3rd will be the last ever "Opus" strip as the Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist dedicates his output exclusively to children's books. Because no newspaper I read on a regular basis ever carried Bloom County or Outland I was a bit of a Lemon-come-lately to the strip but I quickly caught up through the numerous collections and treasuries. There is no doubting its influence in the cartooning world, especially the way in which it dealt with socio-political issues.

4 comments:

J. Lemon said...

Keen-eyed readers might notice Milquetoast the Cockroach in the window.

Vundakin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vundakin said...

I'm really gonna miss that strip. I caught it every Monday morning, online, when I got to work. Thank goodness I still have my "Public Works" comic strip. www.PublicWorksComics.com.
PLEASE don't Ever discontinue that one. Or it would be a very DARK day in my life.

J. Lemon said...

Public Works is great. if anyone hasn't checked it out yet it's here:

http://www.mypetvideos.tv/ThePublicWorks.